Skip to content


Description and Eligibility

ISEP is a worldwide organization UM works with to offer international education opportunities at over 150 member institutions in over 50 countries. The 2 different program types are ISEP Exchange, where students pay tuition and room & board costs all to UM, and ISEP Direct, where students pay tuition, room, & board costs set by the host institution. Most UM scholarships and student loans (except work study) can apply. You must have at least a Sophomore status of 30 UM credits (you can apply as a Freshman as long as you are Sophomore by the time you go abroad) and have a minimum GPA of 2.75 (3.0 for select universities).

Language Considerations

Students wishing to study in a language other than English have options ranging from no prior language skills to advanced language proficiency, varying by the institution’s program. Many sites offer intermediate language sessions either prior to or during the term for an additional fee.

Credit Transfer and Full-Time Course Load

Credits for all courses passed on an ISEP program are guaranteed to transfer back to UM. Find out more details about how those credits will transfer.  Find out what a full time course load would be at the host countries using their credit system.

Program Length and Deadlines

Programs can last a semester, academic year or summer session (select universites only). visit our deadlines page to find out when you have to submit your application.

Program Types and Costs: ISEP Exchange vs. ISEP Direct

ISEP Exchange vs ISEP Direct Brochure

ISEP Exchange: Students pay their regular UM tuition plus the cost of a shared dorm room, All Campus meal plan, and holiday stipends. Most UM student loans and scholarships, except work study and the Cal Murphy Scholarship can be applied to this program type. Check out our Scholarships info to help you research additional sources of funding. 

ISEP Direct: Students pay ISEP’s program fee, which varies by institution, through CyberBear that can include a combined cost for tuition, room, & board, tuition & room, or tuition alone. Most student loans and some scholarships can be applied to this program type. Work study, tuition waivers, LAS Awards, Cal Murphy Scholarships, and WUE waivers cannot be applied to this program type. Consult the Financial Aid Office, Enrollment Services, and/or the awarding department of the scholarship for more details. Check out our Scholarships info to help you research additional sources of funding.