Skip to content

In Case of Emergency


In the event of a political, social, or natural emergency, the Global Engagement Office (GEO) will be in contact with the registered UM Traveler.
The UM Traveler should remain in contact with the on-site staff (if available) in an emergency situation. Parents and family members of the UM Traveler are asked to communicate with GEO staff to allow on-site staff to focus on working with the UM Traveler and local officials.

24-Hour Contact (406) 243-4000



To ensure that in emergency situations University of Montana faculty, staff, and students traveling abroad receive timely and appropriate assistance from University of Montana staff.


Any situation or condition which jeopardizes the University of Montana faculty, staff and student(s)' physical or mental health, safety, well-being, or requires the intervention of UM staff. Such events or occurrences may include, but are not limited to: civil disturbance, natural disaster, severe illness or injury requiring hospitalization, severe emotional or behavioral disorders, illegal actions (i.e. drug use), absence from program site, academic probation, etc.  To assist UM staff in addressing or resolving an emergency situation, it is vital that a University of Montana official be promptly notified.

Notification Procedures

Call (406)243-4000  (answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

Please provide as much of the following information as possible:
•    Reporting person’s name
•    country & program of study
•    UM sponsoring department/office
•    traveler(s) names
•    date & time of occurrence/condition
•    description of occurrence/condition
•    action taken thus far
•    action requested of UM (if appropriate)
•    return contact information

U.S. Consulates and Embassies

The US State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C. aids Americans needing emergency assistance. During a crisis, the State Department will try to locate the whereabouts of an American overseas if needed. In case of injury overseas, the Bureau of Consular Affairs can assist in sending funds to the injured American and collects necessary health information to forward to the in-country embassy or consulate. In case of evacuation, the embassy or consulate overseas will try to help Americans depart. If destitute, Americans can turn to a US consular officer abroad for help.

In case of the death of a participant overseas, the Bureau of Consular Affairs provides guidance on how to make arrangements for the remains.  If you are overseas and in need of emergency assistance contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. If you are concerned about a loved one overseas, please call: From the U.S. & Canada - 1(888)407-4747. From Overseas - +1 (202)501-4444. The US State Department’s Crisis Emergency Center telephone number in Washington, D.C. is (202)647-5225. Updated recordings on State Department travel advisories are also available at this number.

Please visit the U.S. Department of State's website on emergencies for more information.